Sunday, March 2, 2008

'07 vs '08 (cont)

This is a continuation of the preview from a few days back. We've compared the infield from last season to this season. Here, we'll tackle the outfield. Obviously these guys, and by "guys" I actually mean Pie, could change by opening day, but for now we'll consider Pie the opening-day center fielder.

Left Field:

2007: Soriano was very good in '07, not great but very good. He dealt with some wheel issues throughout the season that cut into his stolen bases and games (but not that skip before a catch, thank God!). His OBP is not what we're looking for in a leadoff hitter. However, contrary to most Cubs GM's, I like him where he is most comfortable, and if that is at the top of the order, so be it. He hit .299 with 33 jacks.

2008: If Soriano can get his OBP up from .337 to somewhere in the neighborhood of .345 (.351 in 2006) I think the Cubs will be very, very well off. For some reference, in 2007 Jose Reyes' OBP was .354 and Jimmy Rollins OBP was .344. I expect a bigger year for Sori. I think Alfonso is somewhat of a sensitive player. The fact that this will be his second season in Wrigley (or whatever entity Montgomery Burns sells it to-field), his second season under Lou and his second season with his teammates helps him more than it helps the average MLB'er. I'm looking for a .310 average and 40 homeruns. I hope his increase in OBP comes from more patience and walks, but I'd also like to call Erin Andrews my girlfriend. It's a pipe dream.

Conclusion: I don't like throwing out predictions in stats... but I did it. Advantage '08. Sori's the man.

Center Field:

2007: Jacque Jones manned CF the majority of the season last year. As our rubber-armed outfield engineer, his line was .286/.333/.765. He played a decent outfield, needed more power at the plate to make up for his lack of steal-speed (how does he go from 27 dongs in '06 to just 5 in '07??) and we've all seen the amateur-hour hose Jacque would triple-bounce into second base one out of every ten throws. He got bad jumps on a lot of balls, but managed to run them down and make several highlight reel plays throughout the season.

2008: Right now it is Pie's job to lose. We heard about how they are trying to shorten his swing to make more contact, but doesn't that eliminate any power he might have? Down to four tools. From what I have seen thus far, he doesn't look especially smooth out in center. It's like I'm nervous that every ball hit out there for him to field off the ground might go bouncing through his legs to the wall. Watch a game and tell me you don't feel like this. I need the comfort. All that said, Felix's AAA numbers warrant him a long audition with the big club. I want to see him get the entire first half of this season before really looking for a right hander to platoon with him. Also, I was at the game when Sam Fuld made that ridiculous catch in right last year and everybody was looking at each other going, "Who the hell put this Cubs uniform on a midget and told him to get out to right?" When he came to the plate everybody was cheering for him to get a hit and although he didn't get one, he did take a walk... in his first big-league at bat. I still haven't decided if that was real gutsy or exactly the opposite. Either way, I have a soft spot for him and would not be crying (as if I ever cry) if he ends up the starting center fielder at the end of the season.

Conclusion: I can't bring myself to say that Jacque was a better option. I think that whatever happens in the first half will lead to an advantage in the second half to even things up. So I'm taking the easy way out, DRAW.

Right Field:

2007: Cliff Floyd, Mark DeRosa and Jones did a reasonable job in 2007. A reasonable job in a corner outfield spot on a world series contending team is not enough. I will miss the occassions when Cliff hit the ball on the screws because there are very few people that can hit a baseball as hard as him. Prince Fielder admitted to wearing a bulletproof vest for two of their games when Cliff was in the lineup.... as far as you know. There just was never enough power, speed or defense out of the position in 2007.

2008: Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Kosuke Fukudome. Here is my disclaimer: If he is as good as advertised, we just earned an upgrade in our homerun numbers, stolen bases, rbi's and runs scored. Not to mention, potentially the largest difference Kosuke provides is with his glove.

Conclusion: Advantage 2008. Domo Arigato Mr. Hendry. You got it done. Now let's hope that our Asia scouts are as reputable as you say they are.

Pitching staff coming soon. We just modified the comment box so that you do not need an account to leave a comment. Leave your thoughts as my all-knowing capability was on break during this post. She will be back later though!

No comments: